Monday, October 8, 2012

Praises and Prayers

Hey everyone!

It's been an eventful past couple days around The Scott Household.

Thursday started off like any other day. H and I were snoozing away and my poor husband was up at 5:30 getting ready for work and making his own breakfast (Gasp, I know. I'm a terrible wife who sleeps while her husband makes his own breakfast... somehow we're still married ;-)). Anyway, he was boiling water for his oatmeal in the microwave (because that's how he does it) and he dropped the cup and split the boiling water all over his legs. He came running upstairs where he shouted "I need you, I need you, I need you." I was shocked awake and ran into the bathroom where he was breathing heavily and I said "WHAT HAPPENED?" It looked like he had fallen down and scraped all the skin off of his legs. After me asking him what happened about 32 times, he finally muttered "I burnt myself", so immediately I started Googling how to help this situation and everything said to get in a cool bath and stop the burn process so I told him to do that. After a couple minutes in the bathtub he was feeling better so he got out and all of the pain immediately hit him and he was crippled in pain... again. So he jumped back into the bathtub, which is the only place he found peace, and sat there while I called my mom, whose husband is a paramedic, and asked him what we should do and he said that it sounds severe enough that he needed to go to the Emergency Room so I got dressed, got H up and dressed and we headed to the hospital. He was seen pretty immediately but unfortunately I had H and she is too young to go back there with him so we had to sit in the waiting area and it seemed like forever. He finally came out and said that he needed to go to the Burn Center because the people at the hospital didn't really know what they were doing and the bandages they did put on him were falling off before he even got in the car. Thankfully, my mom is awesome and immediately met us to get H so that we could go to the burn center which was an hour away without her. So H played at my mom's house all day with her and my step-dad and we headed to the burn center. We waited for a while, it was really busy and finally got sent back and our nurse turned out to be a girl from my hometown who my whole family knows and she used to play at our house all the time. Thankfully, she hooked us up and got J all cleaned and gave us a ton of options with at home care. She was great! (Thanks Carrie). Well after they scrapped all the dead skin off his legs they bandaged him up and we got sent home. He had second degree burns all over his legs. We had left to go to the hospital around 6:30 and didn't get home till 3. I was so exhausted so thankfully (again) my mom offered to keep her longer so I could take a nap. So I slept till 5 and then my mom and step-dad brought her home. I can't thank them both enough. Well unfortunately because of the placement of the burns J can't walk or move around without being in pain because the bandages pull on the skin that is trying to grow back. So he was basically either on the sofa or in bed from Thursday night till Sunday. He was completely bored out his mind and I was running around like crazy taking care of everyone and everything. At first I was fine and I'm so thankful for everyone who offered to help. It wasn't until Sunday morning where I felt I really needed help because I didn't know how much more I could do and just at that exact moment my sweet friend Karen, who we met in small group at church, said she was at the grocery store and she was going to make us dinner. I am so thankful for her and her perfect timing. It was such a blessing to not have to worry about dinner. I told J that I want to be like Karen. She is just a great hostess, not only did she bring us a big pasta dinner but she always brought us a salad, rolls, brownies, ice cream, and plastic plates and silver ware so I didn't even have to worry about dishes. It was such a blessing and I hope I can do that for someone one day who needs it the way I did.

Anyway, J went back to work today and he said overall he's feeling okay, the bandages and pants are making his legs hot, but other than that he's okay. He is so strong.

So, that was the "prayers" part of this. Please pray for his recovery and pray he doesn't get an infection.

Now, on to the praises.

J and I have been in a small group for a couple weeks and recently we started a study about finances and trying to use money the way God intends us to use money. We had never been "tithers". We would go to church and when the bucket was passed around we just kept on passing. Well, at the beginning of this study, God really weighed on our hearts that we need to start tithing  It was important for us to become closer to him and to go grow in our relationship with him. Let me tell you. It is HARD. I thought, we're struggling enough as it is, how are we going to "give" away this large (in my eyes) amount of money. How will I buy all the things we need each month? The money just didn't add up. Since we started tithing, a month ago, we have received more blessings that I could ever have imagined. My thoughts about money have changed  so drastically and I no longer think of it as "my/our" money. It is all His money and He wants us to do with it His will. I used to think " its my money that I'm giving to God". How stupid was I? Anyway, I'm just being honest. But I just need to praise God for ALWAYS providing with us. Tithing is hard. It's supposed to be hard and challenging. That is where FAITH comes from. Faith that God will always provide for you and your family the things that you need. Well today J went to work and got a HUGE raise. I mean... unheard of huge. He didn't get a promotion, he doesn't have any more responsibilities, just a raise. We have been struggling for a while now financially. It is hard with a family of only 1 income, but we decided before H was born that I would stay home with her and raise her the way we want her raised. I'm not bashing day-cares or anything like that, it just wasn't for us. So we knew it would be hard but we also knew it was the right decision for our family. Of course, we are going to send her to pre-school. She and I are very excited about pre-school. I know she needs the kid interaction and discipline that comes with school, so we are excited for next year. Anyway, we have been struggling and this raise is HUGE for us. Such an incredible blessing from God who will always provide and give us what we need. He is really an amazing God and I am so thankful for my growing relationship with Him.

Until next Time

Mrs. K. Scott

1 comment:

  1. Mrs. Scott... This is great news {not about J's burns but about his raise}! This will make things so much easier for you... And what an employee J must be to get a huge raise without addition work. Things are coming up Scott, I would say. :)