Thursday, June 20, 2013

Judgement

I'm about to get real deep up in here. This has been weighing on my mind for a while now and I need to get it off my chest.


So recently I have heard and read a lot about people who are Christians talking down about other churches. I could go into countless examples but I'm sure you've heard it to. (Especially if you live in the South.)

Why is it that *for the most part* Christians are the most judgmental people out there?

I go to a big church. Browns Bridge Community Church. It's one of Andy Stanley's churches in the Atlanta Area. When we first went there I didn't even know who he was. 
Our church as incredible music. Some people say it's like a rock concert. We have incredibly, talented, CHRISTIAN musicians that lead worship in our church. A big misconception that I have heard many times is that our worship leaders just play there because they get paid and it's just a gig. This is so untrue. I have seen pretty much every single worship leader sitting in the rows singing their hearts out to Jesus(on a different Sunday than the one they were playing at.) They attend the church just like everyone else... Just sometimes they get up on stage and sing their hearts out in front of everyone. They are all Christians and many of them serve in other ways around the church (like in the nursery, in the parking lot, handing out flyers). I have seen them first hand. 

The thing I saw posted that got my rant started was this.
 

I take offense to this.
 For a couple reasons, my church has "rock bands, & theater lights"... but my preacher doesn't "need" these things. He is an incredible teacher who can relate to many people. He is real and he tries to get people who have been hurt by "the church, meaning the PEOPLE in the church" to come back and praise Jesus. He doesn't want people who aren't sinners (aka NO ONE) to be at his church. He knows that everyone sins and EVERYONE  needs Jesus.

To me, this little picture just shows how judgmental some people are. 

Why would you criticize another person for worshiping Jesus the way they want to? I am so sick of people acting like their way of doing things is the only way. It's 2013 people. It's time to have an open mind. I don't criticize your church because you sing hymns and sit in pews. Why are you judging me?

WHY ARE CHRISTIANS THE MOST JUDGMENTAL AND CRITICAL PEOPLE EVER?

I like to think of myself as a strong Christian. I love Jesus with my whole heart. That is the ONLY thing that matters. 

I go to my church because I love the environment. I love the messages that Andy teaches. I love the worship and the full on emotion I feel EVERY. SINGLE. SUNDAY. Most Sunday's you will see me crying while I'm singing to Jesus. And guess what? No one can see/ hear/ or care that I am crying. I get emotional and I have never felt that type of emotion in church before. I love every single person whom I have talked to at the church. I love the people I serve with on Sunday's in the nursery. I love how every one is different. They aren't all copy and pasted. I love my small group and the close, christian friendships I have formed from it. All because I go to my church. 

So.. my point is.... Who are you to judge me (or anyone) for worshiping a different way than you? 

To each their own. 


2 comments:

  1. Agreed. My gripes with churches don't center at all around worship style, because there are enough places for all of us to find one that fits us. My frustration lies with churches & Christians who don't act out the love Christ tells us to share. And fyi, I highly doubt that Jeff Foxworthy actually said that... Seeing how he goes to North Point and all. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. My gripes with churches don't center at all around worship style, because there are enough places for all of us to find one that fits us. My frustration lies with churches & Christians who don't act out the love Christ tells us to share. And fyi, I highly doubt that Jeff Foxworthy actually said that... Seeing how he goes to North Point and all. ;)

    ReplyDelete